Alberta’s New Democrats are accepting applications for the position of Director of Operations.
Alberta’s New Democrats are a growing, vibrant political party with a membership that holds specific values of social justice, the rights of working people, environmental stewardship and fairness. The organization’s Board of Directors and staff are professional, dedicated individuals focused on continuing to grow the party with the goal of forming government in Alberta.
The Director of Operations shall hold responsibility for managing the overall financial operations of Alberta NDP, and will provide accurate information to the Provincial Secretary, including analysis, budgeting, forecasting and preparing financial reports. The Director of Operations will be responsible for the ADNP’s accounting functions, including establishing and maintaining accounting principles, practices, and procedures as well as the preparation of financial statements and reporting to the Provincial Secretary and Treasurer. The Director of Operation will be a full charge bookkeeper.
- Manage the accounting operations including:
- accounts payable,
- accounts receivable,
- statutory reporting.
- Establish and monitor internal controls to ensure that accounting activities are in accordance with established legal regulatory and company policies and procedures.
- Budgeting and forecasting.
- Prepare, analyze and present monthly, quarterly and annual operating results for each department.
- Provide strategic analysis as required to drive improved decision making.
- Work with external auditors, audit committee and Board of Directors.
- Prepare and present financial information for quarterly and annual reports.
- Manage research and development program for accounting requirements.
- Responsible for the accuracy and timeliness of financial information
- Implementation and management of internal controls with respect to financial policies, processes and procedures
- Provides advice and guidance on all accounting matters including financial systems, record keeping, analysis, and reporting
- Sets the priorities within accounting group
- Coordinating the year-end audit and preparation of audited financial statements
- Generation of reports of performance against budgets
- Assigns and authorizes cheques, purchase orders and invoices
- Promotes and maintains positive corporate relations with the financial community
- Other related duties and required or assigned.
- Extensive experience and knowledge of all aspects of accounting and financial management.
- Thorough knowledge of all relevant Federal, Provincial and local requirements regarding financial records, revenue sharing, and election reporting.
- Proficient communication, interpersonal and organizational skills are vital to the role.
- Financial analysis, budgeting and some strategic planning experience
- Knowledge of accounting principles, practices and applications
- Knowledge of budget preparation and analysis techniques
- Professional written and verbal communication skills
- Good problem solving skills and the ability to make the necessary decisions to move forward the work at hand
- Knowledge of Sage, MS Office and Excel.
- Excellent leadership, communication, presentation, problem solving and organizational skills are essential.
- Ability to adapt to and learn new software
- Able to work efficiently as a part of a team as well as independently
- Good organizational, time management and prioritizing skills
- Attention to detail in all areas of work
- Support and train the elected Treasurer
Terms and Conditions
This is a temporary, full-time position filling in for a medical leave; with the possibility of extension.
The position is governed by a Collective Agreement between Alberta’s New Democrats and COPE 458 and is classified as D1A Director of Operations. Probationary salary for this position is $60,443.28. Alberta’s New Democrats are also happy to offer an excellent benefits package, car allowance and pension contribution.
Supply resume and at least three references by email to: Chris O’Halloran, Provincial Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org by 4:30PM, Friday, February 12st, 2016. Applications received after the deadline may not be considered.
All applicants are thanked for their submissions, however only applicants selected for interview will be contacted in follow-up.